Thursday 27 November 2014

Society's double standards!

If you have been following me for a while, you will know that I am a strong believer in valuing and respecting the body you have, no matter your size, look or age. Valuing and respecting your body means if you are not happy with how you feel, how you look or how your body performs, then it is up to you to want to change that. I strongly believe good health, happiness and confidence are three very important things to have in your life and are things we should all aim for.




People believe that if you are "of normal weight" you can not be unhealthy, people believe if you are underweight that you can not be unhealthy and people believe that everyone who is overweight must be unhealthy. These are three statements that are not necessarily true. This is why I always advise people to aim for good health rather than have a "goal weight".

When it comes to new/existing clients, I'm not too fussed about their "goal weight". I focus more on their health, I focus more on how they feel/look and I focus more on their performance. When their daily tasks become easy, when they are happy with the way they feel, satisfied with how they look and when their health improves that's when I know we've made progress. What is the point in losing 5 stone in 5 months if you've also lost your health? The only prize you will receive is a trip to the doctors!


I do not judge people by their weight and will always disagree with anyone who does. I believe that actions and lifestyle choices hold more value than just someone's weight. This is a whole new topic in itself and I do not want this post to turn into a novel, so I'll just save that for another day.

However, going back to my point, I never judge someone by their weight. So as you can imagine I get pretty angry when I saw the following photo;




This is utter nonsense and ignorance in it's finest form. To this day, I'm struggling to understand why Gemma Collins (the lady above - known for being on TV and has her own "plus size" clothing range) would do such a thing. Let's take a step back, imagine I had my own clothes shop and held up a sign reading,

"If you're fat, you're not buying that"

Harsh right? There would be MAYHEM all over social media, I would be called all sorts of names, I would lose the respect of many and be portrayed as someone who does not have a clue.

If your argument can only be made by putting someone down, you have no case. You lose. There is no winner and all you do is make yourself look like a loser, an ignorant one. This is why it bugs me when I see photo's like the Gemma Collins one and quotes like this;



Firstly a "real" man will go for whatever he likes and he will accept you for who you are. Secondly, a "real" woman does not compare other women to bones or men to dogs. Name calling is wrong. We teach this to children at a very young age, yet adults do this daily. I see it all the time on Twitter and Facebook...

"She's fat"
"That's disgusting"
"She's too manly"
"She's too skinny"
"She's ugly"

What makes it worse is that people in the public eye contribute to this, so others think it's ok to join in. We live in a society where if someone is famous or has a large following on a social network, their opinion matters most and it's ok to say certain things. I just don't understand it.

Today's society will comment when you turn down a slice of cake, but will say nothing to the smoker smoking 10-20 a day. It will say you're obsessed when you choose to go to the gym in the morning, but will say nothing to those who wake up hungover each weekend. It will call you boring for eating a healthy lunch, but will say nothing to those ordering fast food junk. Today's society thinks being healthy is something that should be laughed at, something that is weird and something that should be isolated.

Society has double standards. It needs to change. It is not wrong to be healthy and enjoy exercise. What's wrong is having children grow up thinking it's ok to put others down to try and promote their point.

To finish I will leave you with a fantastic quote...

"Don't change your body to get respect from society. Instead let's change society to respect our bodies"

Do you agree? What do you think of this post? Send me a tweet @GymForWomen

Thanks for reading!

Hadee.

1 comment:

  1. Agree to a certain degree- what I dislike is 'thin privilege' is used in everyday shops. Topshop don't need to put a sign saying 'fat people aren't welcome' because they are more sly, stopping their clothing range at size 16 and looking down on those who are bigger that come in. Shops that have a token plus size range, and only had them in certain shops. Imagine a high street that only did plus size and had skinny sizes at certain stores? There would be uproar. I think it should work both ways, because frankly everyone is beautiful, and everyone is built differently xx

    ReplyDelete