Friday 17 June 2016

Fitness model diet = Unnecessary for you and me!

So before I start this post I would just like to say I have nothing against those who compete (bikini models/fitness models etc). I think what they do is great and requires a lot of hard work, so I do respect them for that.

My only issue is that these people must understand that the average person does not need to mirror their habits in order to see progress.

What I mean by this is that a mum of 3 who wants to lose a bit of fat does not need to eat white fish and rice, 8 times a day. We are all different and have different goals.




I see a lot of terrible advice forced upon people because it was advised by someone who competes. A good example being...

"You shouldn't eat fruit because of the sugar and carbs"
or
"You need to completely cut your carbs"

This is all wrong advice and shouldn't be forced on others!

The average person who wants to simply improve their figure doesn't need to be super restrictive like those who compete. What the public needs is to be educated about a healthy balance.

You can look great by eating carbs and by eating fruit and you don't have to do 3 gym sessions a day. These are all choices made by someone competing and you don't have to be so restrictive.

Like I always say, all you need to do is create a healthy balance of eating the right foods, allow a little room for the "not so right" and become a more active person.

Health and fitness is specific to the individual. My rugby season has started and to those who are watching the world cup will see how demanding a rugby game can be. As you can imagine, my goal is performance whilst staying in good shape. I know that walking around with minimal body fat like a competitor prepping for a show will cause my fitness, strength and performance to drop and my abs and shredded figure would mean nothing if I couldn't perform on the field.

For my sport, I need to be strong, fit and quick, so I've compromised by gaining a little body fat which has resulted in a stronger and fitter me (and I've managed to still be happy with the way I look).



To finish I'd just like to stress the fact that your goals are specific to you and you do NOT need to copy the diet of a competitor to get in good shape. It's unnecessary and isn't sustainable. You must think long term and think about making lifestyle changes that'll allow you to be in great shape and STAY in great shape!

Hadee.

No comments:

Post a Comment