Monday 1 June 2015

The power of social media!

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube - Social media, in today's society is a very powerful thing. It has the power to control us. Without fail, millions of people log into Facebook & Twitter daily to scroll down their news feeds to be encountered with random photos, videos of nonsense & statuses about "Person A's" terrible morning. But it's still something we just can't live without.

We all use social media in different ways, there are many who use it to try and spread a positive message & there are others who do not. There are some who use it in a negative way, to spout abuse at celebrities or anyone who doesn't agree with what they believe.

Both types of people have the power to control our moods. Someone who is sending hate, abuse and threats will most probably ruin your mood, yet someone who has helped you is likely to make you feel good. Whether you have a huge following or not, a persons comments will have an effect on you regardless. It's why I always say to surround yourself with the positive and leave little room for the negative. It's just a shame we're overwhelmed with so much negativity.




I log into social media daily and part of me feels sorry for today's society. We measure our self worth by the number of likes we receive, the number of followers we have and the amount of friends we have in our friends list. It's sad.

We have celebrities who target the vulnerable and use their huge following to promote products for their financial gain. This is something I come across in my day to day life. I'm constantly dealing with people who have seen a celeb tweet about a certain diet that has made them lose 10lbs in one week. Or trying to educate someone that waist trainers may cause damage to then be told "but she's a celeb, she wouldn't do it if it wasn't dangerous". It's a constant battle.

But there's always something that overshadows all this negativity and that's seeing so many benefit and do well from social media. Seeing people start from little and to be given many opportunities because of the posts they put out. There are many accounts online that'll have a positive impact on your life, these are the ones that require our attention.


To an extent, I've experienced the positives of social media. I set up my twitter account with the aim of educating others on how to live a healthier lifestyle and to this day I'm still surprised with how popular it has become. I wasn't really expecting people to follow my material, but I kept putting out tips, recipes and workouts as it's something I enjoy doing. Helping others improve their health and fitness is a huge passion of mine, it's why I love being a personal trainer!


So what's the point of this post? Well I was inspired. By who you ask? Well she was a very brave, strong, young girl. She showed me the power of social media and how it can be used in a way I've never experienced. I saw it used in such a positive manner, I saw it being used to bring people together to help get to a goal & I saw it used to bring a little light in what was a not so bright time.




Her name, Nicole Bowers. She was diagnosed with a brain tumour in Feb 2012 and fought bravely against it for 3 years, but sadly lost her fight earlier this month. I had the pleasure of attending her 13th birthday a couple of months ago & even shared a game of pass the parcel (I won a dinosaur pencil, which I obviously named Dino). I saw what an amazing family she had & the support that was constantly given, it was fantastic to see.

I received a message on twitter saying that Nicole's last wish was to receive a message from the Big Bang Theory cast and was asked if I could share a post. I was more than happy to do so. So I sent a tweet and instantly I was overwhelmed with the response.




My phone instantly went bonkers, for days, RT after RT.

But all you have to do is search #BigBangBazingaWish4Nic and you'll see how many other people were on board. It was absolutely amazing. Then something great happened, but I'll let the following video do the talking...




One after the other, the big bang theory cast members sent in their videos. I saw a clip of Nicole watching the videos and it was one of the best videos I've seen. Everything about it was amazing. It started with a young girls wish, social media come together and made it possible. Nicole had got her wish and I (and I know so many others) had a HUGE smile on their faces. Seeing this little girl get her wish gave me goosebumps, it made me feel good inside, I was so excited for her and I have to say, I've never felt like that because of social media before.

And that's the point of this post. To show you what's possible when we use social media the right way. To show you what the power of social media and positivity can do to so many lives. But most importantly, it was to show you why we should spend less time hating and moaning on social media, and spend more time appreciating all the positive things around us.

At the end of the day, life is too short to be bitter, jealous and full of hate. We should spend our lives appreciating all of the good, grateful for all the amazing, loving all those who matter most and avoiding those who make us sad.


"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light"


Thank you for reading, thanks to all those who shared the hashtag and thank you Nicole for being my inspiration.  RIP  


A huge mention must go to the very special Bowers family. My thoughts go out to each and everyone of you.


If you would like to pay tribute to Nicole, donations can be made to the "fighting Ependymoma" charity, which funds research to help children fight brain cancer. Please visit her JustGiving.com/supportnicole page and donate, any donation is welcomed.


Hadee x

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart!"


No comments:

Post a Comment